Saturday, April 22, 2017

A New Journey -- How I Met My (Soon to be) Husband, Part 1

I have been silent on my blog for about 1 1/2 years, but recent life events have made me realize that it is time to break that silence and start writing again. I want to make time to write, to share the many life lessons that God has been teaching me, in order to help others who may be going through the same stage in life.

To start out the break from silence, I would like to introduce you to someone. His name is David Allen, and He is the most incredible man I have ever had the privilege of knowing. And on May 27th, 2017, he will become my husband!

Isn't he just handsome? I think so.

God did an amazing work in bringing David and me together. And it's time that I share the story, and in more detail than most people may know.

One year ago today, April 22nd, 2016, God perfectly orchestrated many circumstances that led to me meeting David. Little did I know then that David would become my very best friend, my confidant, my boyfriend, the love of my life, my fiancé, and in 5 weeks from today, my husband. God works in mysterious ways, as you will see as I tell our story.

So here it goes (my side of the story)...

It was a dark night, hardly any light at all...no really, that's how we met.
Let me back up a little.

April 19-22nd, 2016, I was attending the annual Christian homeschool conference with my family, along with my dear friend Dessiree, and her husband Chris. I went that week ready to hear what the Lord would teach me through the many sermons, and see where I needed to work on growing in my life. But also, in the back of my mind, I was praying that maybe God would let me meet a godly young man.

The Sunday before the conference, I had several moms at my church approach me and tell me that they were praying that I would meet a young man at the conference that week. I kind of shoved it aside thinking "Oh, that's nice. Thank you. But that's not going to happen." I had recently come to the place where I was content being single, and getting ready to go on a photography mission trip. But as those women told me that, in the back of my mind, I was really hoping that maybe I would meet someone.

During the sessions at the conference that week, I sat with my mom, as well as Dessiree and Chris. I thoroughly enjoyed every session, and wrote copious amounts of notes (which I may or may never read again). I enjoyed spending time with my dear friend, Dessiree, and seeing many other friends I get to see at that conference every year.

April 22nd, the last day of the conference, my mom approached me, and said that there was a father who approached Chris, and asked him if it would be a possibility for me to be introduced to his son. I was flabbergasted. This father had only seen me with Chris and Dessiree, and from that thought it would be a good idea to introduce me to his son. Turns out, this father and his family were camping next to Chris and Dessiree, and had the opportunity to make their acquaintance. So when the father saw that there was a young lady spending time with Chris and Dessiree, he put two and two together, and decided I needed to be introduced to his son, who was "single, and ready and wanting to be married, and just needed to meet a godly young lady."

My mom asked how I felt about meeting this young man, and I replied, "Well, it couldn't hurt. I can always meet him. Surely nothing will come of it, but it doesn't hurt to meet someone. You never know what could happen." So the arrangements were made for us to meet at Chris and Dessiree's campsite that night. I briefly met the young man's father and mother in the conference room, but was distracted with other things, that I didn't even remember their names (whoops...).

We joined a family for dinner that evening, and stayed there really late. I begrudgingly left the wonderful fellowship we were having, because I knew this young man and his parents would be expecting us. So, 11 pm, we met Chris and Dessiree at their campsite, which was very dark, and only one small lamp hanging from the inside of their tent. Chris contacted the father, and then after a little while, the father and his son appeared. My first impression? "Wow, he's tall! And he's cute!" (Well, from what I could tell by the small lamp.) My mom joined the group, his mom, and then my brother.

It was pretty awkward at first. They were calling me by my name, but I didn't know their names. When my brother joined us though, they introduced themselves, and that's when I found out his name was David. We talked for maybe 20 minutes at the most, and then we needed to head home. During those 20 minutes, David and I only exchanged a few words, as his parents did most of the talking. But the few words that we did exchange left me with the impression that he was very easy to talk to. During this conversation, the light was behind my head, so he could not really see my face, and I could barely see his. We parted ways that evening with the idea that maybe his family would try and come visit my church.

But for all I knew, we would never meet again....

(Part 2 to follow)

No comments:

Post a Comment